Thursday, February 08, 2007

Perfect Monster


You will be punished for breaking the rules. Don't eat the grape, little girl.

We are all rule breakers, forbidden acts thrilled us, forbidden kisses, were like fire.

And this monster, is just perfect, for punishers. I was a scared kid, and then a girl. But I am not afraid of punishment carried out by monsters, it makes the game fair.

And there are consequences far worse than being torn up, eaten alive, I just know.

But ultimately, my point is, monsters and fairies in Pan's Labyrinth are simply perfect, like those in Spirited Away.
These are simple monsters, but the most real kind that were whispering in the darkness in our little bedrooms, or outside our windows, only we can see, when we grew up, alone, so alone, that our companies were our imagined friends.

That is why we write, we draw, we day dream, and we claim that we have freinds, they come out at night, and no one else can see them. They are ours only.
Imagination is the best and worst gift of life and youth.

One sad thing for growing up, is to know that probably, we have only ourselves. Our old friends stayed at where we were. And we could not go back. We lost the way.

That is why I am grateful to watch films like Pan and Spirited Away, they are not Fellini or Bergman, but who cares.

They are just perfect.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori Witzel said...

Yes, yes, yes, yes!

I just saw Pan's Labyrinth, and of course love Spirited Away. And in both cases, it's the monsters -- not the cruel adults in Pan's L., but the purer, fairer monsters, that riveted me.

Thanks for knitting these movies together in your post -- much appreciated.

:-)

(Found you via MountShang, BTW.)

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Lori!

Glad you found me through MountShang.....;-)

I know, those monsters really brings out the little girl in me.

Thanks for the comment. Hope to see you around.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home