Monday, April 03, 2006

Phone Booth and Rain

It rained heavily tonight in New York, with no warning. I was already all wet walking from office to the Byrant park subway station while it started to pour. I was soaked.

After getting out of the Columbus Circle station, I put up my trench coat over my head and walked home like when I was 12, going home from School like that, behaving badly, messy, careless.

While waiting for the light to change at one of the side street, I decided to stand in the phone booth to get some shelter from the heavy rain. My face were covered with the rain water of Spring, I realized that I was crying, in that phone booth, coat over my head still, wearing a blue shirt and white pant, all soaked.

I have behaved well and normal for too long, too polished, too defensive.

This is the real me, messy, wet, but real.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rommel said...

I love those kinds of rainstorms. Forest Gump called it "Big fat rain". My horse hates them-he spent a lot of time out in the rain in his younger days. When he first came to live with me, one day he was standing in the arena looking out at the rain as it was mercilessly pounding the earth. I put my arm around him and had to promise him that I would never put him out in the rain.

For me, though, I think that rain like that acts as some sort of absolution, like the water makes us clean of pretext and shows us that under it all, we are "messy,wet,but real".

Great post-It is a beautiful sunny day here in Olympia, and as I was walking through "Red Square"(here at Evergreen State College), I thought of you.

Take care!

3:46 PM  
Blogger NYE said...

Geoffrey

That is a good story.

I love horses as well. But unlike your horse, I love rain storms. I love rain. And a good cry yesterday brings me a piece of good news today.

It is good to know that we can be "messy, wet and real" sometime.

And the Red Square sounds funny,sounds like Moscow and red army.

Glad you feel better, and look forward to your new post.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home