Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Highlight of the Day of a Data Girl or Woman


A more senior person in the group walked in with a piece of paper "Can I ask you a mathematic question?" "Yes."

I am not a statistician although used to be really good at math and physics, in the high school of China and I did get a perfect score in my GMAT math exam.

"Each segment has a life time value of $550, $640, $440, respectively. Each segment has different size. How do I calculate overall life time value per customer? I can not do (550+640+440)/3, can I?" "No, you can't (almost wrote can not, but still speak with British accent)."

I am relieved at the question and almost can't (here it go again) believe the answer he is seeking is so simple.

What is the % of size of each segment to the universe? "30%, 40%, 30%." OK, you just do 550*30%+640*40%+440*30%.

This is the so-called weighted average. Our feeling of existence is the weighted average of different expeirences and feelings caused by those experiences. Weight that we assign to different experience is the key here. I digressed from my point.

"Great! That works! Thanks!"

I goes back to my blogging and feels that I have paid my due for the day.

9 Comments:

Blogger Rommel said...

Dr Landramm(my prof this quarter) would say: Remember you parenthesis!

(550*.3)+(640*.4)+(440*.3), decemals used to represent precentages of a whole.

Can you tell that I am taking a statistics programme this quarter, and I am doing a presentation on weighted exchange rates of trade on friday?

But the fact that you used this in your daily life makes you a goddess amongst women, and numerate. Many kudos, and it was nice to see you posting at my house. Sorry I have been absent!

PS-is that your photo?

2:22 PM  
Blogger NYE said...

Geofferey

Parenthesis does not matter in this case....

Have fun in your presentation of weighted average of trade!

It is flattering to be a goddess among woman, for whatever reason.

No, that is not my photo, I looked online for a photo of a girl with glasses, I think she is cute. I don't have one of my own with glassess..yet.

And this girl does not look Aisan enough to be me right?

Enjoyed your latest posting.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Sir G said...

:)

8:37 PM  
Blogger NYE said...

Yes. Thomas. Thanks for the patience. But sorry for leaving no room for imagination anymore....

12:47 PM  
Blogger NYE said...

Also, since it is my utter most true feelings were being written here, I figure it is time to reveal how this painful girl looks like and to answer Geoggery's question, is that photo you?

3:35 PM  
Blogger Rommel said...

True about the parenthesis-my bad! I had a prof a few quarters prior that had OCD over Order of Operations. Maybe it rubbed off....

Thanks for the correction and the photo-you are beautiful in more ways than just appearances- don't let anyone tell you different! :)

5:01 PM  
Blogger NYE said...

Thanks, Geoffery

Fact is I could be childish, immature, needy, weak, indecisive, not candid, and inconsiderate, I wish I could be a better woman and better human being.

And parathesis is harmless to be put there...it is like a good habit...

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home