Wednesday, December 07, 2005

NYR Goes to Ottawa


I am sitting in a three-star hotel with free internet access (wireless cost $9 a day), with a surprisingly good service and facility.

A weired and tiring day turned into something calm and pleasant in this northern capital, cold, snow covered and quiet northern capital--Northen Capital means where I was from, Beijing, but I am in Ottawa of Canada.

I just had a huge Mexican dinner downstairs in the hotel restaurant, while enjoying a fun article in New Yorker about creator of world's top computer Chess program. Everyone is friendly and soft speaking. It actually felt like a break--break from the expectation of great exciting holiday fun and busy year end pre holiday craze of New York city.

While typing these words, I have the tv on a French channel. I felt like listening to French, like the sounding made of swirling of tongue and the fact that I don't understand it. I have a thing for French, frechn canadian, cities, and man and, sometime not understanding what is being said is a blessing.

I agains saw an episode of Sex and the City on one channel earlier and the documentary of John Lennon. I was exposed to too much of these two subjects lately. And I like that, especially John and his songs.

Hopefully tomorrow will be an uneventful day as well and I will get what I want and I do want what I hope to get.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rommel said...

Canadian French, or as many call it, Quebecois, is a hard sounding language to these ears of mine. I much prefer the accent that I heard when I was growing up, which was a real "southern drawl", what most would call Provencial. To me it is music, and yeah, when I speak Parisien it sounds nice, but that southern drawl is just sooo hommey and nice. Quebecois has too much of a Franglais, and there are words that are, well, just plain messed up. But that being said, I will take any French over no French at all, which is what I have now! :(

2:16 AM  
Blogger NYE said...

Mattew, yes I decide to post to this site as long as I will live in New York and can write and can afford internet access. ;-)

Thanks for the link that posting to make the point. Yes, I did say Something and we all change. Come back often. I will try to post more.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home